Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fill-in-the-Blanks: Narrowing Down Your Job Search

Retail's busiest time is during the holidays. For the past 4 months, I have worked as a pseudo part-timer for 35 to 40 hours a week. Now that the holidays are over, I'm looking at about 15 to 18 hours a week. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that this was going to happen, but I didn't prepare for it as well as I should have.

I have to kick my career into gear. Ideally, I'd like to have a full-time entry-level job, but I may have to settle for a second part-time job to pay the bills. Not having a reliable source of income is making me nervous. I'd like to eventually do freelance work on the side, so I should practice staying calm in moments such as this. Perhaps you would like to join me in figuring out what I should do. If you see a connection that I don't, let me know. Fresh eyes are always helpful.

*Deep breath*

Okay, first off, I need to narrow down my job search. Hard work speaks for itself, so I just need to get my foot in the door.

I would like:
1. a creative learning environment
2. variety of tasks
3. mid- to fast-pace

I would be okay with:
1. working in a cubicle
2. working from the ground up

I would not like:
1. constant supervision
2. retail or food

What skills/qualities do I have?
1. self-starter
2. hard-worker
      -is able to streamline tasks without error
3. passionate and creative
4. strong command of language
5. abstract thinker
6. Proficient in Word, Excel, FileMaker Pro
7. 85wpm with 100% accuracy

What interests do I have?
1. interior design
2. online articles (favorite websites: apartmenttherapy.com and thoughtcatalog.com)
3. drawing/painting
4. writing/reading
5. talking to people

No comments:

Post a Comment