Saturday, January 4, 2014

Style Happens When You Least Expect It

This morning was a bit of a blur. I nuzzled my pillows until my roommate woke me up to bring her to work. I practically fell out of bed to put a jacket on. I zombied my way to the bathroom and downstairs to the car. Thank God my sunglasses were in the glove-box, because there was no way I was walking back upstairs to find them.

I'll admit, it was 11:30 in the morning. I hadn't been inebriated the night before and there wasn't too much going on, but I was still drowsy and driving (which is almost as bad as drinking and driving... Don't do it, kids). After dropping the roommate off, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.

I fumbled with the red plastic baskets. There was a cool chick walking towards me. As she walked past, she nodded her head and said, "Hey, I like your style."

She seemed meaningful, but I mostly pity people who wear pajamas in public, especially when it's past noon. Maybe it's because they usually pair an obnoxious blue sweater and white PJ bottoms with snoopy all over them. My unintentional 'style' of the day was Punk-Rock Grocery. I was (and still am) wearing a black t-shirt, black jacket, black shoes, and red and black plaid flannel pants. My hair was in a ruckus from tossing and turning last night, and I'm sure I had an air of "I don't care."

Style happens when you least expect it. I certainly didn't plan Punk-Rock Grocery. My favorite outfits over the years had been thrown together when I only had a few seconds to get ready. In my experience, over-thinking your style is disastrous. When I take my time planning an outfit, I'll second guess myself. I'll fret over the image I'm trying to portray. Even worse, like most Americans, I have too many choices. My closet is full of pieces I never wear but feel too guilty to get rid of.

I love to express myself through clothing, but it's frustrating. My solution? Limit your choices, don't over-think it, and channel whatever energy you have at the time. Style is something that shouldn't be stressed over, it should come effortlessly. Next time you go out, give yourself 5 minutes to get ready. That includes hair, make-up, clothes-- you should be walking out the door in 5 minutes or less. Put a timer on. You'll be surprised at how easily your natural style shines through.

No comments:

Post a Comment