Friday, December 20, 2013

Writing in the Face of Failure

''You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner?
The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.'
 
Upon first glance, writing is a well-meaning and natural outlet. But somehow along the way, I've taken to sabotaging myself before I even pick up the pen. Facing the possibility of failure takes a lot of guts. 


Like the other day, I took out my analog notebook and began to write. The desk was uncomfortable and too solid, so I moved to my bed. I wrote on my stomach for a while, but then my back started to hurt. I flipped over, got comfortable, then my pen stopped working, and then the pillows weren't very supportive of my urge to write in bed. 


In that brief moment, I literally mourned for the time wasted. And I was irritated by the fact that I had never thought to get a pen that wrote upside-down. A whopping twenty-three dollars worth of money? Hah, I have normal black pens that are free. Free because I bought them with my now non-existent money. This is defeat.


Wait. Chill out. 
Welcome back to reality, Elizabeth, where pencils exist.

The answer seems obvious, but is it worth not starting something because you may fail? Swing by Doodle Alley to see how welcoming failure can be more rewarding than you think. 


Create With Courage, my friends!
Elizabeth

1 comment: